by Alan Thornhill
Australia’s merchandise imports fell by 4 per cent last month, to $19,921 million.
The Bureau of Statistics produced this original estimate.
However it, said preliminary analysis suggests that – on seasonally adjusted figures – the monthly fall would be smaller, at 2 per cent.
The Bureau’s figures show a sharp fall in the value of fuels,oils and related materials in June.
Alan Thornhill is a parliamentary press gallery journalist.
Private Briefing is updated daily with Australian personal finance news, analysis, and commentary.
Tuesday May 21
The Dow Jones Index fell 18.97 points to 15,335.40
Unions are seeking a rise of $30 a week in the National Wage Case, which opens today
The latest Morgan Poll shows support for the L-NP down 1 per cent to 55 per centover the past week and the ALP at 45 per cent, 1 per cent, on a two-party preferred basis.
- Sharon Coulton on Proposed family tax benefit scrapped
- Pete on Rudd government had entered “paralysis:” Gillard
- Liam Knuj on The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard’s, New Year’s Message
- Change is for the better,change is where your heart grows stronger on Family Assistance boost
- Harry on The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard’s, New Year’s Message
|Aud To Usd||0.9805||N/A||N/A|
|Bhp Blt Fpo||34.830||+0.040||+0.11%|
|Rio Tinto Fpo||55.300||-0.120||-0.22%|
|Nat. Bank Fpo||33.090||-0.280||-0.84%|
The News This Week
- What went wrong:Treasury chief explains
- Working smarter works:Swan
- More rate cuts possible
- Employers urge moderation in the national wage case
- The right man for the job? Wrong question!
- Small business:a warning
- Where’s Gonski now?
- Super:the political questions
- Abbott casts a wide net
- Tony Abbott offers “Real Solutions”
- Disability bill passes Parliament
- Investment scam closed
- We’re cashed up and confident, but not buying cars
- Tony Abbott talks of tax reform
- PM weeps as she introduces disability levy bill
- Airlines (62)
- Banking (2156)
- Business (2261)
- Communications (50)
- crime (12)
- Disaster (103)
- Economics (2226)
- Environment (100)
- Financial advice (2017)
- Health (81)
- Housing (622)
- Inflation (508)
- Insurance (90)
- Investment (1874)
- Markets (1637)
- Media (117)
- medical (20)
- mining (167)
- pay (69)
- Politics (2205)
- population (72)
- Regulation (915)
- retirement (64)
- Rural australia (100)
- Security (19)
- Social security (229)
- Superannuation (212)
- Tax (350)
- The latest (4)
- Trade (539)
- Uncategorized (334)