by Alan Thornhill
All 162 asylum seekers, taken from a leaky boat near Christmas Island, have been rescued.
Australian authorities said three required medical attention.
In a statement, the authorities said: “HMAS Leeuwin and HMAS Wollongong are en route to Christmas Island with 162 passengers.
“All passengers from the vessel reported to be in distress south of Indonesia on Wednesday 4 July were successfully transferred.
HMAS Leeuwin, carrying 99 passengers, and HMAS Wollongong, carrying 63 passengers are now making the transfer to Christmas Island.
Three passengers onboard HMAS Leeuwin have medical requirements and are being cared for by ADF personnel.
Upon arrival at Christmas Island, the passengers will undergo initial security, health and identity checks and their reasons for travel will be established. The priority will be to safely disembark those requiring medical assistance first.
Alan Thornhill is a parliamentary press gallery journalist.
Private Briefing is updated daily with Australian personal finance news, analysis, and commentary.
Saturday May 25
The Dow Jones Index rose 8.60 points to 15,303.10
- Sharon Coulton on Proposed family tax benefit scrapped
- Pete on Rudd government had entered “paralysis:” Gillard
- Liam Knuj on The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard’s, New Year’s Message
- Change is for the better,change is where your heart grows stronger on Family Assistance boost
- Harry on The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard’s, New Year’s Message
|Aud To Usd||0.9651||N/A||N/A|
|Bhp Blt Fpo||34.360||-0.520||-1.49%|
The News This Week
- Shares – and the $A – tumble
- Farmers meet to map out a future
- Ford Australia to close
- What was Joe really saying?
- Slow payers squeeze business
- Paid parental leave? Look again
- What went wrong:Treasury chief explains
- Working smarter works:Swan
- More rate cuts possible
- Employers urge moderation in the national wage case
- The right man for the job? Wrong question!
- Small business:a warning
- Where’s Gonski now?
- Super:the political questions
- Abbott casts a wide net
- Airlines (62)
- Banking (2162)
- Business (2267)
- Communications (50)
- crime (12)
- Disaster (103)
- Economics (2232)
- Environment (100)
- Financial advice (2022)
- Health (81)
- Housing (622)
- Inflation (508)
- Insurance (90)
- Investment (1878)
- Markets (1640)
- Media (117)
- medical (20)
- mining (169)
- pay (70)
- Politics (2210)
- population (74)
- Regulation (917)
- retirement (64)
- Rural australia (100)
- Security (19)
- Social security (229)
- Superannuation (212)
- Tax (352)
- The latest (4)
- Trade (543)
- Uncategorized (334)