by Alan Thornhill
All 162 asylum seekers, taken from a leaky boat near Christmas Island, have been rescued.
Australian authorities said three required medical attention.
In a statement, the authorities said: “HMAS Leeuwin and HMAS Wollongong are en route to Christmas Island with 162 passengers.
“All passengers from the vessel reported to be in distress south of Indonesia on Wednesday 4 July were successfully transferred.
HMAS Leeuwin, carrying 99 passengers, and HMAS Wollongong, carrying 63 passengers are now making the transfer to Christmas Island.
Three passengers onboard HMAS Leeuwin have medical requirements and are being cared for by ADF personnel.
Upon arrival at Christmas Island, the passengers will undergo initial security, health and identity checks and their reasons for travel will be established. The priority will be to safely disembark those requiring medical assistance first.
Alan Thornhill is a parliamentary press gallery journalist.
Private Briefing is updated daily with Australian personal finance news, analysis, and commentary.
Saturday December 14
An announcement on relief measures for car industry workers expected next week
|Aud To Usd||0.8963||N/A||N/A|
|Bhp Blt Fpo||35.850||+0.310||+0.87%|
|Macq Group Fpo||52.200||+0.880||+1.71%|
|Qbe Insur. Fpo||10.600||+0.200||+1.92%|
The News This Week
- Leaders discuss help for auto workers
- A new GST slug – on fringe dwellers
- North Korean leader’s uncle executed
- Manufacturing has a future in Australia:RBA governor
- Aged care workers lose pay rise, too
- Labor seeks to censure PM over Holden
- Greens to push again for marriage equality
- Expectations strengthen, but….
- Unemployment creeps up
- Australians have the “world’s “highest” median wealth:Keating
- PM still wants to cancel Senators’ Christmas
- PM talks to Toyota
- Holden’s decision will hit Australia’s job market very hard
- PM’s “panzer division”
- Holden to close. Toyota likely to follow
- Airlines (81)
- Banking (2584)
- Business (2704)
- Communications (58)
- crime (15)
- Disaster (119)
- Economics (2678)
- education (2)
- Environment (130)
- Financial advice (2423)
- Health (103)
- Housing (715)
- Inflation (529)
- Insurance (107)
- Investment (2203)
- Markets (2006)
- Media (133)
- medical (42)
- mining (271)
- pay (116)
- Politics (2749)
- population (173)
- Regulation (1035)
- retirement (88)
- rural (16)
- Rural australia (113)
- Security (23)
- Social security (258)
- Superannuation (235)
- Tax (405)
- The latest (141)
- Trade (755)
- Uncategorized (395)