by Alan Thornhill
People caught smuggling tobacco in future can expect to be jailed for up to ten years.
Legislation, just introduced into Federal Parliament will create a specific new offence of smuggling tobacco, or conveying or possessing smuggled tobacco
The Attorney-General, Nicola Roxon, said: “The Government is proud of its world-leading action to combat smoking.
“ This legislation reinforces our commitment to that cause,” she added.
“Current penalties for illegal tobacco importation are very low compared to other serious instances of fraud against the Commonwealth,” Ms Roxon said.
“This new offence means tobacco smugglers face prison time for the first time,” Ms Roxon said.
Meanwhile, a new study has linked second hand smoking with increased obesity and Diabetes 2.
A study of over 6,000 people presented this week at the US Endocrine Society’s Annual Meeting in Houston, Texas showed that adults who are exposed to secondhand smoke, have higher rates of obesity and Type 2 diabetes than those who are not exposed to it.
Study co-author Dr The study’s co-author, Theodore Friedman of Charles R. Drew University, Los Angeles, warned of the consequences.
He said: “More effort needs to be made to reduce exposure of individuals to secondhand smoke.”
Alan Thornhill is a parliamentary press gallery journalist.
Private Briefing is updated daily with Australian personal finance news, analysis, and commentary.
Sunday May 26
The Dow Jones Index rose 8.60 points (Friday, New York time) to 15,303.10
Television industry agrees to PM’s push to ban live odds and restrict gambling ads during games.
- Sharon Coulton on Proposed family tax benefit scrapped
- Pete on Rudd government had entered “paralysis:” Gillard
- Liam Knuj on The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard’s, New Year’s Message
- Change is for the better,change is where your heart grows stronger on Family Assistance boost
- Harry on The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard’s, New Year’s Message
|Aud To Usd||0.9651||N/A||N/A|
|Bhp Blt Fpo||34.360||-0.520||-1.49%|
|Nat. Bank Fpo||31.290||-0.410||-1.29%|
|Rio Tinto Fpo||54.510||-0.590||-1.07%|
|Origin Ene Fpo||13.040||-0.310||-2.32%|
The News This Week
- Gambling ads banned
- National food plan launched
- Shares – and the $A – tumble
- Farmers meet to map out a future
- Ford Australia to close
- What was Joe really saying?
- Slow payers squeeze business
- Paid parental leave? Look again
- What went wrong:Treasury chief explains
- Working smarter works:Swan
- More rate cuts possible
- Employers urge moderation in the national wage case
- The right man for the job? Wrong question!
- Small business:a warning
- Where’s Gonski now?
- Airlines (62)
- Banking (2163)
- Business (2268)
- Communications (50)
- crime (12)
- Disaster (103)
- Economics (2233)
- Environment (100)
- Financial advice (2023)
- Health (81)
- Housing (622)
- Inflation (508)
- Insurance (90)
- Investment (1879)
- Markets (1641)
- Media (118)
- medical (20)
- mining (169)
- pay (70)
- Politics (2212)
- population (74)
- Regulation (918)
- retirement (64)
- Rural australia (100)
- Security (19)
- Social security (229)
- Superannuation (212)
- Tax (352)
- The latest (4)
- Trade (544)
- Uncategorized (334)