by Alan Thornhill
Wayne Swan is to lead a business delegation to Hong Kong and Beijing.
The Treasurer made the announcement at an Economic Forum in Brisbane.
He also challenged the business leaders, who will accompany him on that trip, to heed discussion at the two day Forum.
They should also ask themselves some basic questions, such as:-
*..Are we well positioned to achieve greater productivity growth in areas which are likely to drive our economy in the Asian Century?
* Of all the potential reforms and business models available to us, which of them will unlock the greatest productivity potential for our industries and our companies?
“So, in this room, a key question for all of us is: what are we doing to get ourselves Asia-ready?” Mr Swan asked.
* What would it take to set up – and stay up – in Asia?
Mr Swan also urged those present to ask themselves:-
* What are we doing to build relationships across Asia?
* What partnerships across business and society are we forging to help us do this?
The Treasurer said the delegation would be “part of the Government’s agenda to deepen our economic and commercial ties in the region.”
He said it would provide Australian business leaders with an opportunity to develop important business links with major Chinese companies and authorities.
That would be at a key event in Beijing – the Australia China Economic and Trade Cooperation Forum – to be hosted by the Australia China Business Council.
Alan Thornhill is a parliamentary press gallery journalist.
Private Briefing is updated daily with Australian personal finance news, analysis, and commentary.
Wednesday May 22
The Dow Jones Index rose 52.07 points to 15,387.30
At least 24 die in Oklahoma tornado
Unions are seeking a rise of $30 a week in the National Wage Case, which opens today
- Sharon Coulton on Proposed family tax benefit scrapped
- Pete on Rudd government had entered “paralysis:” Gillard
- Liam Knuj on The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard’s, New Year’s Message
- Change is for the better,change is where your heart grows stronger on Family Assistance boost
- Harry on The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard’s, New Year’s Message
|Aud To Usd||0.9761||N/A||N/A|
|Bhp Blt Fpo||35.270||+0.440||+1.26%|
|Rio Tinto Fpo||56.300||+1.000||+1.81%|
|Macq Group Fpo||45.600||-0.070||-0.15%|
The News This Week
- Slow payers squeeze business
- Paid parental leave? Look again
- What went wrong:Treasury chief explains
- Working smarter works:Swan
- More rate cuts possible
- Employers urge moderation in the national wage case
- The right man for the job? Wrong question!
- Small business:a warning
- Where’s Gonski now?
- Super:the political questions
- Abbott casts a wide net
- Tony Abbott offers “Real Solutions”
- Disability bill passes Parliament
- Investment scam closed
- We’re cashed up and confident, but not buying cars
- Airlines (62)
- Banking (2158)
- Business (2263)
- Communications (50)
- crime (12)
- Disaster (103)
- Economics (2228)
- Environment (100)
- Financial advice (2018)
- Health (81)
- Housing (622)
- Inflation (508)
- Insurance (90)
- Investment (1874)
- Markets (1638)
- Media (117)
- medical (20)
- mining (167)
- pay (70)
- Politics (2206)
- population (73)
- Regulation (915)
- retirement (64)
- Rural australia (100)
- Security (19)
- Social security (229)
- Superannuation (212)
- Tax (350)
- The latest (4)
- Trade (540)
- Uncategorized (334)