by Alan Thornhill
Julia Gillard, claimed today that the government of Kevin Rudd had entered “a period of paralysis” before she challenged and replaced him as Prime Minister in 2010.
“I determined that I would contest the primeministership in the circumstances where the government of Kevin Rudd had entered a period of paralysis,” Ms Gillard told reporters in Adelaide.
She described Mr Rudd as “a good campaigner” who had done well in the election in which made him Prime Minister.
“But government requires different skills,” Ms Gillard said, adding that Mr Rudd’s style of government had been chaotic.
Ms Gillard has called a Labor leadership ballot for 10 am Monday. She said she expects Kevin Rudd to challenge her in that contest.
Alan Thornhill is a parliamentary press gallery journalist.
Private Briefing is updated daily with Australian personal finance news, analysis, and commentary.
Saturday May 25
The Dow Jones Index rose 8.60 points to 15,303.10
- Sharon Coulton on Proposed family tax benefit scrapped
- Pete on Rudd government had entered “paralysis:” Gillard
- Liam Knuj on The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard’s, New Year’s Message
- Change is for the better,change is where your heart grows stronger on Family Assistance boost
- Harry on The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard’s, New Year’s Message
|Aud To Usd||0.9651||N/A||N/A|
|Bhp Blt Fpo||34.360||-0.520||-1.49%|
|Qbe Insur. Fpo||15.650||-0.580||-3.57%|
|Cwlth Bank Fpo||68.770||-0.940||-1.35%|
|Bramb Ltd Fpo||9.170||-0.330||-3.47%|
|Rio Tinto Fpo||54.510||-0.590||-1.07%|
The News This Week
- Shares – and the $A – tumble
- Farmers meet to map out a future
- Ford Australia to close
- What was Joe really saying?
- Slow payers squeeze business
- Paid parental leave? Look again
- What went wrong:Treasury chief explains
- Working smarter works:Swan
- More rate cuts possible
- Employers urge moderation in the national wage case
- The right man for the job? Wrong question!
- Small business:a warning
- Where’s Gonski now?
- Super:the political questions
- Abbott casts a wide net
- Airlines (62)
- Banking (2162)
- Business (2267)
- Communications (50)
- crime (12)
- Disaster (103)
- Economics (2232)
- Environment (100)
- Financial advice (2022)
- Health (81)
- Housing (622)
- Inflation (508)
- Insurance (90)
- Investment (1878)
- Markets (1640)
- Media (117)
- medical (20)
- mining (169)
- pay (70)
- Politics (2210)
- population (74)
- Regulation (917)
- retirement (64)
- Rural australia (100)
- Security (19)
- Social security (229)
- Superannuation (212)
- Tax (352)
- The latest (4)
- Trade (543)
- Uncategorized (334)