by Alan Thornhill
Napoleon once called England a land of shopkeepers.
If the little Corsican was about today, he might well be calling Australia a land of business operators.
Figures released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics today suggest that more than one Australian adult in seven is running a business.
That includes farmers.
The bureau now counts farmers as business people.
It hasn’t always done so in the past.
But the bureau has now recognised, perhaps belatedly, that a high degree of business skill is needed to run a farm, successfully.
In a study just released, the bureau says there are now 1.9 million people in Australia, who own their own businesses.
Those most likely to be doing so are men, aged between 25 and 64.
They make up 68 per cent of Australia’s business owners.
And, typically, Australia’s small business operators work full time in their businesses.
They expect to keep doing so, too.
A remarkably high 96 per cent told the bureau that they expect to be still in their businesses in a year’s time.
The bureau said just over half – 54 per cent – have dependents and 55 per cent employ staff.
Alan Thornhill is a parliamentary press gallery journalist.
Private Briefing is updated daily with Australian personal finance news, analysis, and commentary.
Friday May 24
The Dow Jones Index fell 12.44 points to 15,294.70
Ford Australia says it will close its Australian manufacturing plants in October 2016. Some 1,200 jobs to go.
Hazel Hawke dies at 83
A British soldier is hacked to death in the London suburb of Woolwich, in an apparent terrorist attack
- Sharon Coulton on Proposed family tax benefit scrapped
- Pete on Rudd government had entered “paralysis:” Gillard
- Liam Knuj on The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard’s, New Year’s Message
- Change is for the better,change is where your heart grows stronger on Family Assistance boost
- Harry on The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard’s, New Year’s Message
|Aud To Usd||0.9682||N/A||N/A|
|Bhp Blt Fpo||34.360||-0.520||-1.49%|
|Nat. Bank Fpo||31.290||-0.410||-1.29%|
|Rio Tinto Fpo||54.510||-0.590||-1.07%|
The News This Week
- Shares – and the $A – tumble
- Farmers meet to map out a future
- Ford Australia to close
- What was Joe really saying?
- Slow payers squeeze business
- Paid parental leave? Look again
- What went wrong:Treasury chief explains
- Working smarter works:Swan
- More rate cuts possible
- Employers urge moderation in the national wage case
- The right man for the job? Wrong question!
- Small business:a warning
- Where’s Gonski now?
- Super:the political questions
- Abbott casts a wide net
- Airlines (62)
- Banking (2162)
- Business (2267)
- Communications (50)
- crime (12)
- Disaster (103)
- Economics (2232)
- Environment (100)
- Financial advice (2022)
- Health (81)
- Housing (622)
- Inflation (508)
- Insurance (90)
- Investment (1878)
- Markets (1640)
- Media (117)
- medical (20)
- mining (169)
- pay (70)
- Politics (2210)
- population (74)
- Regulation (917)
- retirement (64)
- Rural australia (100)
- Security (19)
- Social security (229)
- Superannuation (212)
- Tax (352)
- The latest (4)
- Trade (543)
- Uncategorized (334)