by Alan Thornhill
The Coalition’s Treasury spokesman, Malcolm Turnbull, is urging the Federal government to make a major economic statement, setting out its plans for Australia.
Mr Turnbull accused the government of displaying incompetence, as the economy turned down.
Addressing the State Liberal council in Victoria, Mr Turnbull said Kevin Rudd had presented himself last year as the motorist’s friend and the shopper’s advocate.
“The empathy of 07 is replaced by the impotence of 08,” Mr Turnbull said.
Meanwhile his boss, the Opposition Leader, Brendan Nelson, accused the government of doing nothing to restore either business or consumer confidence in Australia.
Dr Nelson said both business and consumer confidence had plunged to levels not seen since the early 1990s.
“The responsibility of government is to do everything it can to drive confidence in the business community,” the Opposition Leader added.
Dr Nelson, too, said that a major economic statement would help to create optimism and confidence.
The opposition is planning to press this argument, when parliament resumes on Tuesday, after its two month winter break.
The shadow of job cuts at Ford and other industrial plants will hang over the Federal parliament, when members and senators take their places on Tuesday.
Alan Thornhill is a parliamentary press gallery journalist.
Private Briefing is updated daily with Australian personal finance news, analysis, and commentary.
Wednesday May 22
The Dow Jones Index rose 52.07 points to 15,387.30
At least 24 die in Oklahoma tornado
Unions are seeking a rise of $30 a week in the National Wage Case, which opens today
- Sharon Coulton on Proposed family tax benefit scrapped
- Pete on Rudd government had entered “paralysis:” Gillard
- Liam Knuj on The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard’s, New Year’s Message
- Change is for the better,change is where your heart grows stronger on Family Assistance boost
- Harry on The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard’s, New Year’s Message
|Aud To Usd||0.9795||N/A||N/A|
|Bhp Blt Fpo||35.380||+0.550||+1.58%|
|Macq Group Fpo||45.870||+0.200||+0.44%|
|Anz Bank Fpo||29.700||+0.060||+0.20%|
|Cwlth Bank Fpo||72.590||+0.110||+0.15%|
The News This Week
- Slow payers squeeze business
- Paid parental leave? Look again
- What went wrong:Treasury chief explains
- Working smarter works:Swan
- More rate cuts possible
- Employers urge moderation in the national wage case
- The right man for the job? Wrong question!
- Small business:a warning
- Where’s Gonski now?
- Super:the political questions
- Abbott casts a wide net
- Tony Abbott offers “Real Solutions”
- Disability bill passes Parliament
- Investment scam closed
- We’re cashed up and confident, but not buying cars
- Airlines (62)
- Banking (2158)
- Business (2263)
- Communications (50)
- crime (12)
- Disaster (103)
- Economics (2228)
- Environment (100)
- Financial advice (2018)
- Health (81)
- Housing (622)
- Inflation (508)
- Insurance (90)
- Investment (1874)
- Markets (1638)
- Media (117)
- medical (20)
- mining (167)
- pay (70)
- Politics (2206)
- population (73)
- Regulation (915)
- retirement (64)
- Rural australia (100)
- Security (19)
- Social security (229)
- Superannuation (212)
- Tax (350)
- The latest (4)
- Trade (540)
- Uncategorized (334)