by Alan Thornhill
Australia’s trade with China is still in its “earlyÂ stages,”Â according to the Federal Treasurer.
“ThatÂ is why the Rudd government is committed to pursuing a free trade agreement with China, that would help us take our mutual economic engagement toÂ new levels,” Wayne Swan said.
He was addressing the China-Australia Chamber of Commerce in Beijing.
“The next round of talks is to be held shortly,” Swan said.
“For us, services and investment will be key priorities.
“In particular, we see great opportunities in the areas of financial, professional and educational services and investment in mining.”
He said the commitments being sought in these talks would improve the business environment in which Australian operators in China now work.
“Allowing Australian businesses – particularly from the mining sector – to invest directly in China would provide benefits to both countries,” Swan added.
“For Australia, it would allow our businesses to take advantage of growth in China’s domestic market.
“For China, Australia represents an attractive investment partner,” he added.
Alan Thornhill is a parliamentary press gallery journalist.
Private Briefing is updated daily with Australian personal finance news, analysis, and commentary.
Thursday May 23
The Dow Jones Index fell 80.02 points to 15,307.60
Ford Australia says it will close its Australian manufacturing plants in October 2016. Some 1,200 jobs to go.
Hazel Hawke dies at 83
A British soldier is hacked to death in the London suburb of Woolwich, in an apparent terrorist attack
- Sharon Coulton on Proposed family tax benefit scrapped
- Pete on Rudd government had entered “paralysis:” Gillard
- Liam Knuj on The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard’s, New Year’s Message
- Change is for the better,change is where your heart grows stronger on Family Assistance boost
- Harry on The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard’s, New Year’s Message
|Aud To Usd||0.9719||N/A||N/A|
|Bhp Blt Fpo||34.880||-0.390||-1.11%|
|Bramb Ltd Fpo||9.500||+0.280||+3.04%|
|Qbe Insur. Fpo||16.230||+1.000||+6.57%|
|Origin Ene Fpo||13.350||-0.120||-0.89%|
The News This Week
- Ford Australia to close
- What was Joe really saying?
- Slow payers squeeze business
- Paid parental leave? Look again
- What went wrong:Treasury chief explains
- Working smarter works:Swan
- More rate cuts possible
- Employers urge moderation in the national wage case
- The right man for the job? Wrong question!
- Small business:a warning
- Where’s Gonski now?
- Super:the political questions
- Abbott casts a wide net
- Tony Abbott offers “Real Solutions”
- Disability bill passes Parliament
- Airlines (62)
- Banking (2160)
- Business (2265)
- Communications (50)
- crime (12)
- Disaster (103)
- Economics (2230)
- Environment (100)
- Financial advice (2020)
- Health (81)
- Housing (622)
- Inflation (508)
- Insurance (90)
- Investment (1876)
- Markets (1638)
- Media (117)
- medical (20)
- mining (168)
- pay (70)
- Politics (2208)
- population (73)
- Regulation (916)
- retirement (64)
- Rural australia (100)
- Security (19)
- Social security (229)
- Superannuation (212)
- Tax (352)
- The latest (4)
- Trade (541)
- Uncategorized (334)